What are the agencies involved?

In an injury event that causes an ABI it is possible for many agencies to be involved.

For some people there will only be one agency involved, e.g. the National Disability Insurance Scheme.


The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provides support for Australians with disability, their families and carers. The NDIS supports people with disability to build skills and capability so they can participate in the community and employment. The NDIS helps people with disability to:

Commonwealth Aged Care Programs

There are aged care programs to support people living independently in their homes and to provide alternatives where they are unable to continue living independently in their own homes.

The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) helps older people stay independent and in their homes and communities for longer. The CHSP provides entry-level home support for frail older people who need assistance to keep living independently.

A range of care options and accommodation are available for older people who are unable to continue living independently in their own homes. Residential aged care in Australia is subsidised by the Commonwealth Government and is governed by the Aged Care Act 1997 (the Act). Residential aged care provides a range of care options and accommodation for older people who are unable to continue living independently in their own homes. The type of care provided ranges from personal care to assist with activities of daily living through to nursing care on a 24-hour basis.


In NSW icare is responsible, among other things for workers compensation insurance. Other states and territories have their own agencies.

Private insurance companies

There are many private insurance companies and types of insurance that may be relevant to insurance related to an injury event causing an ABI.

Types of insurance, for example, include income insurance, disability insurance, public liability insurance.

icare lifetime care

icare's Lifetime Care scheme pays for treatment, rehabilitation and care for people who have been severely injured in a motor accident in NSW. It's a no-fault scheme. This means they provide support regardless of who was at fault in the accident, as long the eligibility criteria for both the motor accident and the injury are met. Severe injuries that may be eligible for the Scheme include: Spinal cord injury, brain injury, amputations, burns, permanent blindness.